American-British-Canadian (ABC) Travelling Fellowships
APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED
The following information applies to the 2018 ABC Fellowship. Applications will open for the 2020 ABC Fellowship later in 2019 – Members should keep an eye on their BOA emails and the BOA website for further information.
BOA members including Overseas Fellows from (Australia, New Zealand and South Africa) are eligible for the prestigious ABC Travelling Fellowship, where they will visit host centres of excellence in the USA and Canada in 2018. Applications closed on Tuesday 5th September 2017.
The host organisation for this fellowship is the American Orthopaedic Association (AOA).
The Fellows selected will visit orthopaedic institutions throughout the Midwestern United States and Canada during a five week tour.
Fellows will also attend the AOA Annual Meeting in 2018.
The 2018 ABC Fellowship is part sponsored by the BJJ this includes: travel expenses to London, hotel accommodation in London for one to two nights to attend the BJJ Dinner, transfer to the airport and economy return air fare to USA and Canada.
The AOA sponsor the travel and accommodation for fellows during the five week tour.
The BOA will nominate up to four candidates to the fellowship and applications will be scored and ranked by members of the BOA Executive group. Shortlisted applicants will be then invited for an interview by a panel made up of members of the BOA Executive and a representative from the BJJ.
Terms & Conditions
Eligibility & Applications:
- Applicants must be current members of the BOA.
- Applicants who have previously applied but have been unsuccessful can apply again
- Applications will not be accepted from successful candidates in the previous year’s round e.g. if you successfully applied for the ABC Fellowship in the 2016 round, you will not be eligible to apply in the 2018 round.
- The ABC Fellowship cannot be awarded retrospectively.
- The ABC Fellowship has specific eligibility criteria and applicants should ensure they check these carefully:
- Applicants must be BOA members.
- Applicants must have been an appointed consultant for less than 10 complete years on 1 January of the year the tour is due to commence.
- Applicants must be available to travel during the spring of the year following their application. The tour takes approximately five weeks.
- By accepting the ABC Fellowship, all candidates agree not to partake in any activities that will bring the BOA and/or the sponsors into disrepute.
- The BOA accepts no liability for the actions of the candidates while on the ABC Fellowship, or for activities related to it.
After the Fellowship:
- Following completion of the ABC Fellowship, the BOA requires all successful applicants to submit a report about their Fellowship:
- Reports should be submitted within six weeks of Fellowship completion.
- Reports should be of at least 500 words and, where possible, include some photographs.
- The BOA reserves the right to publish them on the BOA website, in its publications and for any other purposes as it sees fit.
- The BOA will cover the cost of economy flights to the USA and Canada.
- Successful applicants will be responsible for funding the cost of travel insurance.
- All other in country (Overseas) costs incurred will be met by the host country.
- More details on financial arrangements will be provided to successful applicants.
- Funds must be claimed within six months of the end of the fellowship, after which time the funds available will be reallocated to other BOA expenditure.